Tuesday, November 6, 2007

What Would I Give Up That Means A Lot to Me

I guess it's been 9 weeks. I've not written maybe because a lot of what I'm experiencing is new, but old. New in a way, but not news worthy. But, after two weeks of not writing, there are a few things.

Name 5 words you don't want to hear while in a 3rd world country. Any guesses.... Answer is.... "you need a root canal". Yep, after faithful trips to the dentist before I left the states, and somewhat frequent checkups, an embedded cavity somehow missed the radar screen. And, then I had the challenge of finding a dentist that spoke English; felt comfortable with; agreed with his diagnosis, and proceeded with the procedure. As it turns out, that all went fine, as God would direct (claro). It did take 5 trips, including the dentist and the oral surgeon, but I think it's all fixed now. And, the advantage to a root canal here is that it's about 25% of the cost it would have been in the US. So a blessing in disguise, financially.

Another blessing. It has been 2 months with no warm water to shower. And, while the weather was extremely hot, that wasn't a huge problem, mostly just made for very quick showers. But, just before the tropical storm hit (btw, everything's fine, no problems, etc.), it got much cooler, and I was thinking warm water would really really be nice to shower in. Well, God provided. On the very day I decided that I was going to fix the "instant hot" that was already installed in the shower, but had not worked since I arrived, Nidia (home host) got it fixed. Without me prompting or asking (as God provides). But, I don't know it's fixed, so I announced to Marsil we were going to fix the warm water shower unit, and he announces to me it was fixed the day before! My only question was "when were you going to tell me!" Since then it has been soooo nice to have warm water. Not hot mind you, but not cool, quite adequate. A huge blessing. I've decided as an "American", I value at least three things. Electricity, A/C (at least in the car), and hot water.

And to address the A/C, I decided I was going to rent a car for the remainder of my stay. Not just for the a/c; that was one of many reasons. And I've done just that. It has made experiencing the country and getting around so much easier. It's a huge luxury for a Dominican to have a car, but something we take for granted. I didn't miss driving (still don't), but I did miss hopping in the car whenever I wanted to go somewhere; and I missed car A/C at 3:00 in the afternoon, when it is steaming hot outside and stuck in 3rd world country traffic. Believe me, traffic and driving in 3rd world countries is very very different (to put it nicely). All that's better now with a good car with a/c. Another great blessing.

But all that's the blah blah about my comforts. Really not that important, other than you grow to miss things you had. And, in some ways those things you miss, you miss more as time goes on. At least for a season. At first, it's all adventure and you hardly think of them. But as time goes on and routines get set, you think about them more. So, car a/c and hot water have been perfectly timed gifts from God.

The boys are doing well. We all spent the weekend in the Rio San Juan area. (2 hours from Santiago, on the coast) I wanted them to meet some "country" boys. And meet they did. Actually interacted with them very well. Paul had brought the game Monopoly for us to play. Then for some unknown reason, and without the "country boys" even knowing we had it in the car, the Rio San Juan boys asked if we could play Monopoly. And I said, well, as a matter of fact, it's Paul's favorite game and we happen to have it in the car with us. So, that evening we scheduled a Monopoly game. And it was standing room only. We had to setup teams, so many kids in Rio San Juan wanted to play. I placed Marsil and Paul in charge of teaching them the rules, being banker, and distributing the properties. I sat back and watched, and dosed a little as it neared 11PM and the game was still not through!! But, it went well. No fights, no major arguments, just good times with kids enjoying the game. Good times. Good good times. And I was extremely proud of both Marsil and Paul how they helped the other kids keep the game light and fun.

Board games are so readily available in the US, but are a real treat here. Even for Paul and Marsil. When I got here, they (Paul/Marsil) didn't have Monopoly or any games, so I bought some as a way to engage with them more. And we've played Monopoly a lot. It is Paul's favorite game now.

But, the real story is..... I'm watching the kids play in Rio San Juan and I begin to think, "Wow, we really should consider leaving the game here with them." But I also think that would crush Paul. So, I put the thought aside.

Side note: I'm attempting to teach the boys how fortunate they are compared to many many Dominicans. That was part of the reason for the trip to Rio San Juan, as all the kids there live in basically shacks (at best) and have little education or little hope really. And few good parents, no fathers.... all the disadvantages.

As we're driving to church the morning after the big GAME (Paul and me by ourselves; others in another car), Paul asks me, "Norm, do you think we should leave the Monopoly game here for these kids?" It was one of those times when you get a "sign" that God is working. And, He's definitely working on Paul's heart. I pause for a moment (thinking, Wow God, you are amazing), and say, "Paul, I think that's something you'll have to decide." He says no more about it; he's just quiet for a while.

Fast forward to the time we're about to leave that evening to go home, and I ask him, do you want to take the game, or leave it here (in Rio San Juan). He says, "I want to leave it here."

To put this in context, not only does Paul love that game, but he loves us playing it together, its the only game he has (except checkers and cards), he loves winning at it, he knows it's a relatively expensive game (relative to DR incomes), and it has brought him many hours of joy. And for him to volunteer to give it away, without me prompting, was like this moment when the clouds part, and sun shines bright, and I think, okay, I think he's going to make it. Paul has demonstrated how big his heart really is.

I wonder if God calls me to give up things that mean a lot to me; joys I get through material blessings, but I somehow miss the calling. What would I give up that means a lot to me? What could I give up, on a relatively scale, that means the same as Paul giving his game to those boys in Rio San Juan?

No comments: