Well, it went almost as I had expected. No that's not true! Far better; mucho mucho better. The Spanish classes are hard but not too hard. I don’t know all the Spanish words (not even close), but I CAN pronounce a lot more than I did; recognize more words than I did, and understand some basic grammar rules for Spanish. Yes, I feel lost. Extremely frustrated at times. Like when I learned that at least half the class has had between 4 and 8 years of Spanish in earlier high school years, and our teacher seems to go at a pace that’s set for their background, not mine. Oh well, I keep telling myself to enjoy the experience. Not to freak out that I’m not getting everything. Just trying to learn what I can. I’ve had two papers (homework) graded. I got an “A” on both. I think that’s because I’m only 1 of 2 Americans in the class; and the other one dropped the class the 2nd day!! I think the teacher (Arelis) feels sorry for me. I hope she does!
Much more bonding with my host family. Started taking Marsil and Paul to school in the mornings. Letting their mom have a break. Plus it gets me more exposure to the culture. We pray together before we leave for God to give us good days. The prayers are answered. The kids continue to be a great blessing to me. It helps me not miss those I love back home so much. Thank you God!
More exploring the city. Really a modern city. Not the standards of West Palm, FL (Stuart) or anything like that; but everything you could possibly need. A Home Depot want-a-be; a Wal-Mart want-a-be, good grocery stores, and of course the Costco want-a-be. Ate at McDonald’s the other day. The biggest difference between American stores here and in the US is the price. Everything American seems much more expensive than in the US. Which makes sense. But I’m not sure how “regulars” of this city afford the US product. I know the poor don’t indulge; but there are plenty who do.
Turns out the neighborhood I’m living in would be considered “middle-class”. Almost a new class for this country. The country used to have only super rich people; and very poor. But, middle class is making up ground. My host, Nidia, is a counselor working on her master’s in counseling. She works for a local drug rehab clinic and for the government. She’s worked her way out of poverty through determination and education, and mostly God's grace. The classic way.
The church gathering on Sunday was awesome. Much much better than I expected. Great people. Warm. Friendly. Really seem to love the Lord. Honest worshipers. And ironically, they are a group that is focused on training young missionaries for field service. Very similar, it appears, to what we are planning with our program. I hope to learn more from them as we go. Another God thing as only God can do.
One of the elders (Pablo) came by to visit me after church on Sunday. He basically wanted to coach me on the culture. Like being careful about the women who want an American Visa, and in so doing, will “fall in love” with me. And, not spending too much money on my host family. I had taken them to Taco Bell, which I mentioned previously; turns out the whole church ended up knowing about it. Obviously things like "Taco Bell" are huge things around here. I hear what he’s saying, clearly. Just hard to put into practice. Like I'd have soda in the house for me, but not offer it them? NOT. Would be different if I were in my own home maybe. But I’m NOT going to have all the stuff I like sitting around (peanuts, snacks, soda, chips, etc), and not make sure they know they can enjoy it also. What would you do?
I’m glad the elders of the church are sensitive enough to their flock and their visitors to take the time to guide them. A true sign of a healthy church.
I’m invited to go on holiday with my host family’s extended family. Sisters, mother/father (grandparents), etc. in Puerta Plata (resort city on the coast). In two weekends, there’s a national holiday. We’re supposed to spend 3 days at the beach. Sounds like fun. My new family!
By now I’m guessing you know that I’m not exactly suffering physically. I do miss hot water and AC (especially in the car; mucho calienta!). But, there are also things I have here that I don’t have in the States. Like a great lady (housekeeper) that keeps everything extremely clean and organized. She’s also a great cook as I mentioned before. And, she’s a warm person I believe. She’s easy (facil) to be around. I think she’s confused that I do as much as I do (believe it or not). I try to make my own bed now; take my own dishes to the kitchen; keep my own room straighten. Nothing big, but I think there’s a role for all of us. And mine is NOT to be served hand and foot. I enjoy her help but I don’t want to ever be “served”, just helped.
Oh, and how can a middle class family afford a full time live-in housekeeper? She makes around 3000 pesos per month. Divide that by 33, and you get her US monthly salary. Which is like what, $100 per month?!! It does include her room and board here, but still! (of course I had to ask!)
Oh, and for you Curingtons (if any) that are reading this.... You’ll love this part. Ciestas every day. Seriously between 12 and 2; after lunch, Ciesta!!! A nap. It’s like the best idea in the world. Clearly Hispanics have genius level IQ's. I’ve had a nap almost every day since I’ve been here. That gives me energy to stay up way past what I would normally in the US. But, what happens when I go back to the US!!?? Reeeealllittyyyyy!!!
Speaking of which. I’ve decided to start mentally preparing for my leaving in December early. I know that sounds wierd but…. I’ve already talked to Marsil about God’s timing, and how God brings people into and out of my life. He says he understands. I’m not sure I do. I know already I’ll be broken again when I say goodbye to Paul and Marsil. I’m not sure why God brings these people to my life. It’s this huge blessing. They seem to love completely; or at least with great trust and unreserved. Reminds me of the....“Unless you become like one of these children…..”. But that also means heartbreak city in December, when I leave. Perhaps for all of us!
By the way, Nidia has decided to let me stay!!! At least for now. She says I can stay for free!! No, I’m not going to stay for free! But, I’m glad she thinks I add to the home and am not a burden. I hope God can bless them through me. They all certainly have blessed me. And what a great honor to be God’s blessing to this family.
Which means Satan will be on the prowl. Pray I can be just what God wants me to be.
I could write about every day and every event. They’re all new and different, but if you’re still reading this, I’ve asked you to read too much already. I’ve decided that this blog is really going to be for me. It will be a journal of my first three ½ months. But you're welcome to share it with me anytime. So, if it gets too long, or too boring, or too detailed, I COMPLETELY understand. Take a lesson/hint from me, skim.
Changing subjects..... Marsil yesterday says he has something to tell me. He says his friends have noticed me dropping him off at school and they want to know who I am. He told them I was his cousin. But he wants me to know that he thinks of me more than a cousin. He says I’m his brother. Again, I’m the one honored. My only regret is that you who are reading this may never meet Marsil. I believe he’s a good good kid. An incredible attitude for a 15 year old. Grateful and honorable and kind. And he does tons of homework without being asked, ever!! But at least you can see his picture. And Paul. They’ll be my first test of posting pics on my blog.
The first picture is of them (Marsil and Paul) sleeping in one bed. No, they both have beds. That’s not why they sleep in one bed. They sleep in one bed because they really love one another. They choose to sleep in one bed. I wonder if they’ll do that when they’re 25? I hope so. Some things should not be robbed by time!
I know all weeks cannot be like this one. But it was a very special gift from God, delivered because of your prayers. Thank you. It's really hard to describe how at home I've been this week. Not that I don't at times think about what I left behind, but it's like this IS my home now, for this season. Not anything like I expected to feel (I know I've said that several times before.). Was just expecting to be missing so much that I left behind right about now. And still think I will one of these days, but NOT this week. Really really weird. But, that's also what happened when I sold my house in Jupiter. Kept thinking, okay, any week I'm going to wake up and say, wow I really miss that house. It was a grand house. And we had awesome times there. But, I NEVER did miss that house after I moved; at least not yet. I wonder if my new life will be the same? When it's really time to move on, and God calls you on, you don't miss it, because what you're called to is better than what you've left? Is that possible?? As scared as I was to leave, it's an incredible peace I have to say. I can't imagine (don't expect) all steps being like this?! But, for this one step, I'm going to soak up the good times.
Hard times ahead I’m sure. Being hurt and hurting others as I loose sight of Jesus for brief moments. But, this week was one for the record books. Just when I thought it was going to be one of the hardest weeks of my life, it was one of the best. New, exciting, full of new love from and to people, full of adventure and mostly full of God. Thank you God. Thank you my family and friends (new and old).
I have to pinch myself and say, I'm really in a city in the DR by myself and have known these people 7 days; strange culture; strange language. And yet, wow. Everything is strange; but nothing feels strange so far.
As a side note, I did speak with Mom today. My dog Lucas seems to have bonded to her; and her to him. God even worked that out. Even before I left, I know this also sounds loco, but Lucas started spending much less time with me, and more with her. Started sleeping in her room at my house; staying more at her side than mine. I guess he knew he had a new master.
Oh yes, and one of these days I’m going to learn Spanish!! But even if I don't learn the Spanish I planned, I can't imagine not being here for this moment in time.
Thursday, September 6, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I am deeply touched and so very interested in your weekly writings. Thank you for doing this. Makes me, and others I'm sure, feel a part of the journey. It also helps to be a daily reminder to pray for you and the work there, your host family and the people with whom you will cross paths and make a difference in their lives. And since I know you're not up to reading a novel -blah,blah,blah, I'll close sending you my mucho love....jan
Post a Comment