Wednesday, April 9, 2008

When Your Best Isn't Good Enough PART 2

Our best wasn’t good enough to get the property we had hoped to build the new resource center. After 2 months of asking all the right questions, we just now realized we were getting all the wrong answers. We were getting answers that simply were not correct. When the true answers were discovered, we have had to pretty much put a hold on purchasing that particular property. (see more detail, if you want, on the next blog)

And the thing is…. You look back and ask yourself, what could I have asked any more clearly? How did they (the company representatives – 3 of them that were selling the property) possibly misunderstand our questions the first time, or even the fourth time when we asked the same question over and over; and got the same wrong answer over and over?

And if I’m going to get answers that are untrue like this all the time, what foundation of truth can I rely on regarding anything here. When I asked our translator how it could have all been so wrong, he didn’t have an answer. Neither do I.

And I’m finding that thus is the culture here. Truth is even more “realitive” here than in the US; at least so it seems.

I’m okay with (I can deal with) any answer, as long as it’s truth. But to miss the truth entirely and for them to not even realize the mistruths they have spoken I don’t know where to go from here. I think it’s my first true cultural clash. More to come!

Lest I sound so high and mighty, I do not speak truth 100% either. But, I do believe (or I used to believe) that I at least know when I’m not speaking truth. And, with that knowledge (the law) I can speak truth when I choose to. If people don’t know truth, how can they tell the difference between truth and lies? Isn’t our whole foundation of good and bad based on a premise of truth and lies; right and wrong?

I truly don’t believe the people that misrepresented the issues about the property even understand that they didn’t tell the truth. It has really been very discouraging. I’m not judging them; I’m trying to understand them and I don’t. Talk about a lesson in culture!

No comments: